Winter Squash Orzo
Winter squash orzo pasta is such a simple, delicious dish full of healthy goodness that is so easy to make, and looks great. The best part about squash orzo is that there are so many different types of different winter squash flavors for you to change this recipe to your liking. For this recipe we will be using butternut squash, but you can swap it out and adjust the spices and vegetables for anything else you want to try with this recipe.
What You Need:
- 3 cups (about 1 squash) of diced, peeled, and roasted butternut squash or other winter squash
- 1 ½ cups of uncooked Orzo
- 3 ½ cups or 2 14 ounce cans vegetable stock
- ¾ cup grated parmesan
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Salt, pepper, basil, and any other spices you want to add
- Any other vegetables you’d like to add
- 1 garlic clove
- Start by melting the butter in a large saucepan. Sauté any vegetables you want, like onions or garlic in the butter until tender.
- Add uncooked orzo before adding your broth and stir to coat in butter. Then you can add vegetables that you would normally steam like bell peppers. Pour in both cans of broth. Bring to a boil and cook until orzo is tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from the heat, stir in parmesan or any other cheese and your squash and cover for 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, basil (it’s great with butternut squash), and any other herbs you might think of adding.
This recipe is not only so simple… but you can change anything you do not like in it. You can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock, a different type of squash instead of butternut squash, using various cheeses, different vegetables… you get the idea! Thankfully, Goffle Brook Farms has all types of different winter squash avaliable to buy so you can experiment with this recipe. We currently have plenty of butternut squash, buttercup squash, acorn squash, and spaghetti squash, all avaliable for you to purchase today. Come get your favorite squash at Goffle Brook Farms before they’re all gone!